Note: This recipe is NOT vegan, despite it being gluten and dairy free. If you want this vegan, omit the prosciutto (Although I don’t recommend it because it seriously makes the dish taste 10000x better!)
Who ever thought that you could actually make a pizza healthy? I was over at my boyfriend's parents' house one evening and his dad made this beautiful Italian pizza with prosciutto, figs, and pesto. It was one of the best pizzas I ever had. I thought it was so creative because I had never heard of anyone putting such items on a pizza. This was my inspiration for this amazing pizza. I personally have some trouble eating gluten and dairy, so I felt called to recreate this delicious dish. With a gluten free crust, dairy free nut cheeses, and dairy free sauce as well as the addition of some more veggies, I bring to the table my version of this pizza.
For the Crust:
** You can use Trader Joe’s Gluten Free Pizza Crust or the following:
- 4 cups almond flour
- 1 packet of stevia ** optional
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4-6 Tbsp. water, divided
For the sauce:
- ½ cup of vegan pesto (Find the recipe here)
For the Toppings:
- ½ cup prosciutto, chopped
- ½ cup white onion, chopped
- ½ cup Dairy free mozzarella cheese (you can get this from Whole Foods)
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 4 oz Portobello mushrooms, chopped
- ½ cup figs, chopped
- ½ cup kale, chopped
- ½ cup vegan parmesan cheese (recipe found here) Note: You can use cashews instead of brazil nuts
- balsamic glaze to drizzle on top
1) To make the crust, combine all of the ingredients except the water. Mix well with your hands. Add the water tablespoon by tablespoon, mixing the flour until mixed through. You can skip this step if you buy the crust. Follow the directions on the package.
2) Preheat the oven to 425 Degrees F. Chop your veggies and set aside.
3) Split the crust in two pieces. On a pizza pan, form a crust shape with your hands as flat as you can, making sure the crust is formed evenly.
4) Add desired sauce, toppings, and cheese on your pizzas.
5) Bake for 20-25 minutes until the ends of the crust are golden brown. Enjoy!