Pesto is such an amazing and versatile food. I can seriously put it on almost everything. From eggs to pasta to pizza, pesto is a great sauce to add to make any dish taste even better! Unfortunately, there are more and more people that are becoming sensitive to dairy. Lucky for you, thanks to the help of Minimalist Baker, I found this delicious recipe that tastes almost identical to the dairy version. Check out this tasty recipe for easy vegan pesto!
Credits to: https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-vegan-pesto-5-minutes/
- 2 cups packed (144 g) fresh basil (large stems removed)
- 3 Tbsp (25 g) pine nuts or walnuts (if nut-free, try sunflower seeds!)
- 3 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 3-4 Tbsp (9-12 g) nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45 ml) extra virgin olive oil*
- 3-6 Tbsp (45 - 70 ml) water or vegetable broth (plus more as needed)
1. In a food processor or vitamix, add the basil, nuts, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and sea salt and blend/mix on high until a loose paste forms.
2. Add olive oil a little at a time (streaming in while the machine is on if possible) and scrape down sides as needed. Then add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) water or vegetable broth at a time until the desired consistency is reached - a thick but pourable sauce. (If avoiding oil altogether, sub the oil with vegetable broth or just use all water.)
3. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor, salt for overall flavor, nuts for nuttiness, garlic for bite / zing, or lemon juice for acidity.