I was craving Thai food last night. It's cold outside and a nice, warm bowl of noodles sounded fantastic. Unfortunately, at restaurants, a lot of their noodles or sauces have gluten in them, which my body does not do well with. I've decided to honor my body and begin removing it from my diet. I figure if I am not going to go get take-out, might as well make it myself. That way, I know what's going in my food and my belly gets to be happy. As a result, I created these delicious drunken noodles and I get to share them with you!
For the Vegetables:
- 1 Sweet onion, chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Zucchini, spiralized
- 1-2 Medium carrots, spiralized
- 1 cup of other vegetables of choice (I used sugar snap peas, mushrooms, and kale)
- 5 Cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the Sauce:
- 1 Cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp. (gluten-free) oyster sauce
- 2 Tsp red chili paste
- 2 Tsp tamari or liquid aminos
- 1 Tsp Molasses
- 1 Tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1/2 lb of rice noodles or glass noodles
- 1 lb cooked protein of choice ** see notes
- 3 eggs, beaten
- black and white sesame seeds (for topping
- Lime (for topping)
** Notes: If you are using chicken as your protein of choice, season with salt and pepper, line a baking sheet with tin foil, and add them in with your veggies.
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Chop all your veggies into cubes. Mince your garlic.
3) Put them on a baking sheet with foil and pour 2 tsp of olive oil on the veggies. Add your garlic and spread them on the veggies.
4) Cook veggies for 30 minutes.
5) While the veggies are in the oven, mix all of the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
6) Begin cooking protein if you are using tofu or frozen seafood.
7) Cook rice noodles according to directions on the package. Let soak in cold water to stop them from over-cooking.
8) Once the veggies are done, take them out of the oven and combine them with the protein, noodles, and sauce into one pan.
10) Mix in the beaten eggs, cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently!
11) Top with sesame seeds and lime. Enjoy!
PS: Want more recipes like this? I have released 20 of my favorite dishes that I've modified to be gluten and dairy-free. Check it out!