Are you someone that craves sushi a lot? To be honest, I have no idea how to make sushi from scratch. One night, I really wanted sushi, but didn't want to go out to eat. I tend to eat way more and my body feels better when I eat at home. I love cooking, so I thought why not make it into a bowl? That way I was able to swap out the rice for quinoa and make my own homemade dairy-free "spicy mayo dipping sauce". Veggies are the star of the dish here because I was able to up my veggie game by making it at home. Ditch the takeout because you will definitely want to try my all new deconstructed sushi bowl.
- 2 5 or 6 oz cans of chunk lite tuna, drained
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/3 cup mayo or veganaise
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, cubed
- 1-2 small carrots, julienned
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups of greens of choice (spinach, kale, arugula, watercress)
- 1 cup of seaweed (optional)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sriracha (optional)
- Top with sesame seeds
For the Spicy Mayo Dipping Sauce:
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4-1/3 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 tsp sriracha (optional)
1) Prepare the rice by pouring 2 cups of water with 1 cup of rice into a pot. Turn the heat on medium-high to bring to a boil (3-5 minutes)
Turn the heat down to medium-low and let it simmer covered for 40 minutes or until all the water is evaporated. Let cool for 5 minutes
and stir in 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar.
2) Prep all of your vegetables, set aside.
3) Mix tuna, mayo, garlic, and sriracha in a bowl.
4) Prepare the sauce by combining all the ingredients in a food processor or high powered blender.
5) To serve in a bowl, put the rice at the bottom, followed by the vegetables, tuna mixture, and top with sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Want to learn how to prepare this plus tons of other delicious recipes? Check out a week's worth of meals planned that I made plus a shopping list. Make your day simple with all of the work already done for you. Check it out!